Remedial Massage & Myotherapy in Melbourne can assess and physically treat myofascial pain, injury and dysfunction affecting movement and mobility. Remedial massage & Myotherapy are applied in the preventative, corrective and rehabilitative phases of therapy to restore and maintain the normal integrity of the soft tissue structure (muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia) of the human body.
Pain or symptoms caused by muscle (myo) or fascia is described as myofascial pain. Myofascial pain is usually not specific and is often described by the patient as a ‘deep ache’, ‘tightness’ or ‘tenderness’ in an area. It can vary in intensity and radiate to other areas. Other symptoms can include reduced range of motion of muscles and joints, stiffness, fatigue, weakness, numbness or a tingling sensation. There are many other symptoms depending on the condition and patients can have one or many symptoms.
Common conditions that remedial massage therapists can treat include:
- Sporting & occupational injuries
- Stiffness & pain associated with poor posture
- Associated joint & vertebral dysfunction & pain
- Acute & chronic conditions affecting function & mobility
- Scoliosis / Kyphosis
- Headaches / migraines
- Acute and chronic stiff and painful neck
- Chronic overuse syndromes – tendonitis, RSI, tennis/golfer’s elbow, carpal tunnel
- Acute & chronic back pain / ‘sciatica’
- Shoulder pain, impingement syndrome, frozen shoulder
- Hand & finger numbness / tingling – thoracic outlet syndrome
- Knee, leg & foot pain – shin splints, patella tracking dysfunction, runners knee, ankle sprains
- Arthritis / Multiple Sclerosis
- Pregnancy – pre/post natal complaints
- Chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia
- Pain & dysfunction associated with stress & tension
- Rehabilitative stage of an injury or illness
What to expect from a Remedial Massage or Myotherapy consultation:
Assessment – Clinical assessment is reliant on history taking, examination routines of particular joints or regions, assisted by highly developed tactile, palpatory skills and a thorough understanding of joint and muscular assessment procedures. These skills distinguish Remedial & Myotherapy from other physical therapies. Assessment of potential causes of dysfunction is also important, as is a detailed postural examination.
Treatment – Soft tissue manipulation, Trigger Point Therapy, Myofascial dry needling, Myofascial release, Cupping, Thermal therapy / Cryotherapy, TENS machines, Postural assessment and correction, Corrective exercises (stretches, strength), Core stability exercises and workshops, Diet and nutritional advice.
Melbourne Natural Therapies
Remedial Massage Melbourne