What is Hot Stone Massage?
A hot stone massage is a type of massage therapy that involves the use of smooth, heated stones to provide relaxation and therapeutic benefits. The stones used in the massage are typically made of basalt, a type of volcanic rock that retains heat well. The stones are heated to a specific temperature and then placed strategically on the body or used by the massage therapist to massage the client’s muscles.
What is involved in a Hot Stone Massage?
Many clinics use hot stones as a relaxation session, however at Melbourne Natural Therapies we use hot stones in conjunction with remedial massage to achieve a therapeutic session. Then, they use the hot stones to apply gentle pressure and heat to specific areas of the body. Utilising the heat from the stones the therapist is able to relax the muscles, allowing them to work deeper into the tissues without discomfort to release tension and knots.
Hot Stone Massage Benefits:
- Muscle relaxation: The heat from the stones helps to relax tight muscles, reducing muscle stiffness and soreness.
- Stress reduction: The soothing warmth of the stones can promote a sense of calm and relaxation, reducing stress and anxiety.
- Improved circulation: The heat from the stones can dilate blood vessels, improving blood flow and circulation.
- Pain relief: Hot stone massage may help alleviate pain caused by tense muscles or chronic conditions like arthritis.
- Increased flexibility: By relaxing muscles and promoting blood flow, hot stone massage can lead to increased flexibility and range of motion.
Things to Consider Before Having a Hot Stone Massage
Before getting a hot stones massage, it’s essential to communicate any health conditions or concerns you may have with your massage therapist. This information will help the therapist to deliver a massage session specific to your issues and needs and ensure your safety and comfort throughout the session.
Hot stone massage can be a very relaxing and enjoyable experience for many people, but it might not be suitable for everyone. If you have certain health conditions or sensitivities to heat, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional before trying this type of massage.
If you would like to book a Hot Stone Massage session in one of our Melbourne clinics click below:
Hot stone massages are generally not recommended during pregnancy due to the risk of overheating and potential complications. Please contact us for more information.
Hot stone massages should not be painful; stones are heated to a comfortable temperature. Communicate any worries to our therapist beforehand, or any discomfort for adjustments throughout.
Hot stone massages usually don’t leave marks as stones are smooth, and heated gently to avoid skin irritation.