Cupping and Remedial Massage
Myofascial cupping or ‘cupping’ is a traditional treatment modality that is a form of myofascial release, it aims to restore optimum function to soft tissues including muscle, fascia and tendons. Unlike manual forms of myofascial release, such as remedial massage, which use downward pressure to reduce tension and stretch muscle fibres, cupping uses negative pressure, suction or decompression techniques within a glass or plastic cup, to pull up, separate and stretch connective tissue (fascia) and muscle tissue.
As the role of fascia, and its importance to the functioning of muscles and the body as a whole is becoming more widely understood, so too is the need for an adequate assessment of musculoskeletal dysfunction, and soft tissue treatment techniques.
Some of the many benefits of cupping include:
- Stretching tissue and increasing range of motion
- Increases blood supply providing nutrients to tissue
- Increases fluid movement, reducing edema
- Reduces adhesions/knots within muscle fibres
- Increases hydration in connective and muscle tissue
- Lengthens and separates muscle and connective tissues
- Helps prevent soft tissue injury
- Supports the central nervous and autonomic nervous systems
- Speeds up recovery from injury
- Maintains soft tissue function
At Melbourne Natural Therapies, our qualified and experienced remedial massage therapists utilise a range of cupping techniques in conjunction with remedial massage and/or myotherapy, in order to provide treatments that are both highly effective, safe and tailored to your needs. Our therapists generally start a session with remedial massage to find the areas of tension and then apply the cups to the necessary areas.
If you would like to incorporate cupping into your next remedial massage or myotherapy appointment give us a call or book online. And if you would like any further information don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Melbourne Combined Natural Therapies
03 9645 9923
Remedial Massage Melbourne